Who needs air travel?

I’ve started watching YouTube videos of huge waves and roller coasters. Whether I choose waves or roller coasters depends upon my mood. Never trust the sea, or so they say, and watching huge swells rising up out of nowhere brings that phrase to the foreground of my thoughts. Not even on the biggest ships are you safe from massive waves, but despite my fears I would love to cross the Atlantic by ship. 


In fact, to circumnavigate the world without flying is another ambition of mine, another fantasy that will be dashed on the rocks of reality. As always, time, practicalities and money will stand in the way.


It’s all worked out in my head and I love the fact that such a huge journey would start on a suburban train service carrying people to their mundane jobs. I was going to add ‘in the city’ but I wouldn’t need to travel that far north, in fact, the idea would be to travel south initially and take a train from, of all places, East Croydon. I wonder how conspicuous I’d look, standing on the platform waiting for the train to Southampton Central. People would think I was going to Gatwick and embarking upon a package holiday to Europe, or possibly the Caribbean or, indeed anywhere, the Far East, the Middle East, I could be going anywhere, but they would be unaware, unless they asked me, that the plan was to leave the planes on the tarmac.


I’ve always loved the idea of ‘working my passage’, jumping on a merchant ship and having to sweep the deck for my board and lodging. Crossing the Atlantic by boat would be far better than flying over it, something I’ve done on many occasions. There would be times when I could sit on the deck watching the sea and looking out for rogue waves; and I’d probably sleep really well, what with the motion of the ship and the sea air.


The ship would arrive in New York and I would make my way to Penn Station and find a train travelling west, possibly to Seattle. It might mean changes, possibly in Chicago, I don’t know, but travelling right across the USA, from east to west, on a train is my idea of heaven. But let’s not make out I’m planning on rushing this, I’m not. I’d probably stay a few days in New York, book a room in the New Yorker hotel, visit a few diners and wander around for a while, take a boat ride, do a bit of tourism; and then, when I reached Seattle I’d probably do the same: visit Pike Street Market and the first ever Starbucks, check in to the Ace Hotel on First Avenue and possibly even take a train to Portland, Oregon while I’m in the area, this isn’t a race.


In Seattle there are probably options as to how I proceed. My view would be to travel north to Alaska, possibly by boat, and once there make my way to that piece of land that almost touches Russia. There’s a small amount of sea to cross and then I’d be in Russia and effectively on my way home. But first, I’d hang around Alaska for a while, visit Fairbanks, loiter around Anchorage and generally take in the scenery. And if Chris McCandless’ bus is still there I’ll visit that too. Who knows what I’d do? In short, whatever takes my fancy at the time.


I’m not sure how I would cross that tiny stretch of sea separating the USA from Russia, possibly I’d find somebody with a boat who makes regular journeys, but once across I’d have to make my way towards the nearest railway station and hopefully some kind of connection to the Trans Siberia Express, because that would be my next stop, and another fantasy of mine, riding that great Russian train to Moscow. I’m not sure how long that takes but once I’m in Moscow I’d loiter there for a while too. It’s a great city full of great people and I wouldn’t want to pass through without stopping to pay my respects.


I’m guessing that the rest of the journey would be pretty straightforward as it would involve taking trains through Europe and towards Calais or even Vlissingen in Holland - now that’s a good sea crossing, I’ve done that twice, on a night ferry across the North Sea, it’s fantastic. Travelling through Europe, of course, would involve many stops; I’d definitely visit Budapest and Prague and then Berlin and God knows where else, as many European cities as I can while en route to the sea, be it the North Sea or the English Channel.


Having taken the ferry to Dover I’d jump on a grimy British train and head for home. I think I’d probably end up in Victoria and would then take a train south to East Croydon and then a five minute ride from Platform Six to my home town, Sanderstead. What an adventure!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing is therapeutic, it's like talking to myself...

Beware of the wild corned beef!

Cast adrift...